Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for Infinity

Excerpt from my debut novel Out of the Great Black Nothing, for the April A-Z Challenge.

I will post excerpts from various writings daily.



Percy's back yard spanned a dozen acres in every direction. Two trucks were parked out front, beside a Toyota Camry, in front of a raised porch. Trees spotted the acres, and farther back ran the treeline and the creek. All around him stretched barbed wire, barns, penned hogs, and lazy cattle dozing the full moon away.

And all above him stretched the brilliant galaxy, God's polka-dot network of connect-the-dot puzzles. The nearest celestial object, of course, was the moon. Percy often wondered if man would ever have ventured into space if not for the moon. What good would it have done? Why go into the black nothingness, only to come back?

But God had put the moon there for us to wonder at, to ponder in the long nights before television. God put the moon there to tease man into exploring the universe.

The moon. That was the first dot in God's Connect-the-Dot Universe. Dot #1.



LEAVE YOUR MARK! Put an X in the comments, if you have nothing more to say.



Eric W. Trant is a published author of several short stories and the novel Out of the Great Black Nothing. He is currently represented by Debrin Case at Open Heart Publishing. See more of Eric's work here: Publications

9 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I never would have thought about connect the dots in the Heavens. I've really got to read this book.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your posts are working - I am really intrigued!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Connect the dots in the heavens. Great and beautiful imagery. You are a talent, Roland

Charmaine Clancy said...

Definitely has my interest.

Lynx said...

Very cool piece, Eric. I'd be interested in collaborating on a project or two...

Lynx said...

Very cool piece, Eric. I'd be interested in collaborating on a project or two...

Lynx said...

Very cool piece, Eric. I'd be interested in collaborating on a project or two...

Lynx said...

Very cool piece, Eric. I'd be interested in collaborating on a project or two...

Lynx said...

Very cool piece, Eric. I'd be interested in collaborating on a project or two...