Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Claire

Excerpt from my debut novel Out of the Great Black Nothing, for the April A-Z Challenge.

I will post excerpts from various writings daily.


For an hour, Claire tried to put her fouled mood behind her. If she looked in her rearview mirror, she might see everything laying in the middle of the freeway, getting splattered by the passing vehicles, ground into the mid-summer pavement just as casually as the brains of an albino squirrel she might as well be chasing. Eight years of college were being crushed beneath steel-belted radials. Her two years in the Air Force were a fluttering plastic bag, wrapped around an axle and melting in the freeway heat. Eight years at the Pentagon were being ground into a fine dust and sprayed on the passing cars.

None of it mattered.


LEAVE YOUR MARK! Put an X in the comments, if you have nothing more to say.



Eric W. Trant is a published author of several short stories and the novel Out of the Great Black Nothing. He is currently represented by Debrin Case at Open Heart Publishing. See more of Eric's work here: Publications

12 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

GREAT stuff here Eric. I'm going back to A&B.

Anne Gallagher said...

Well, I should probably have read A&B before. This stuff is great. You don't need pictures, either. I love the way you make the characters come alive.

Stephanie Lorée said...

Great excerpts, Eric! I'm just now playing catch-up with my A to Z comments.

Wine and Words said...

When it all falls apart, there is an almost glorious release in surrender. Nice bits in here, and anyone who's been on the freeway can visualize this scene with ease. Hey...I thought you were attempting poetry over here today? I was thinking, "Eric - Poetry? Does not compute." So...now I'm disappointed. Thanks a lot!

Sarah Allen said...

Ooh, intriguing. I'll definitely have to check this one out...

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I take it she lost some of her luggage?

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Intriguing excerpts. I tried to comment yesterday but Blogger wasn't having any of that! Bugger. Have a great time in this challenge, Roland

Unknown said...

Interesting excerpt.

Jen said...

This is great! I'm so glad I stopped by. Great challenge theme :D

Nice to meet you! Happy writing from a new follower,
Jen

danneromero said...

hum? makes me want to know who she is...

Patricia Stoltey said...

Ah, the albino squirrel. I was talking about white squirrels just the other day. I wonder why that keeps coming up...

Patricia Stoltey

dolorah said...

Awesome. OK, I'll take the book with me to Redding tomorrow instead of the Kindle. You're such a tease Dude.

........dhole