Friday, June 8, 2012

Premoniscient Writing

Just realized "premoniscient" is not a word! Premonition is, as is pronunciamento (proclamation), but premoniscient is not in the dictionary.

Am I spelling it correctly?

Moving along.

Have you ever written something that was premoniscient? You went back later, read it, and realized you lived the story after you wrote it?

I have done that twice.

The first was my first book, circa 2001. It involved divorce, and was written several years before my own divorce. Some of the scenes showed up in real-life later, especially one of my MC hitting on women at a bar.

I will not go into the second one, as it involves my present WIP, and my present circumstance, namely the loss of a child. But it is oddly premoniscient (sp?).

How about you? Have you ever written something that later resembled your life in an uncanny way?

- Eric



Eric W. Trant is a published author of several short stories and the novel Out of the Great Black Nothing. He is currently represented by Debrin Case at Open Heart Publishing. See more of Eric's work here: Publications

5 comments:

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Never thought of this before, but no, I don't think I have. As to the word - it sounds great and I knew what you meant immediately. Maybe you should call Webters and have it added!

Matthew MacNish said...

Whoa. I must have missed something. You lost a child? I'm so sorry, Eric.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

As an adult, I haven't, although I did when I wrote as a teen. Hope your next book is a happy one. You need it.

And I make up words all the time, like dramastically. (Drastic and dramatic.) I'd run with premoniscient if I were you!

Anne Gallagher said...

Yes, sometimes, but mostly I think I've done something or said something, but it's not really me, it's one of the characters in the book I wrote. Does that make sense? My memories aren't mine, but a character's.

Jai Joshi said...

I have done that, yes. Written things that happened but I never realised it until well after the fact.

Big hug, Eric. I'm so sorry.

Jai