Friday, November 30, 2012

When you edify everyone, the all become dim

When you edify everyone, the all become dim.

Do you fully understand what I mean by edify? Let's use a bakery example, and a girl named Mary Jane.

Why Mary Jane? Because I'm listening to this song right now, off the Judgment Night soundtrack.

Anyway, Mary Jane works in a bakery, and she decides to sample each item in the cabinet and write a review on her blog.

She samples a cheesecake and writes on her blog that this is the most fantabuliscious cheesecake she has EVER HAD! OMG, it is orgasmic.

She next samples a yellow sponge cake, and posts it is so good she wants to smear it on her boyfriend and eat it off, LOL.

MJ then tries a chocolate mousse, of which she writes, and I quote: OMG, this is so good I want to make a man out of it, marry that man, and have his chocolate children. I would so eat my kids! LMAO.

Anyway, maybe you're getting the picture. She edifies ~everything~ to the point that her five-star rating becomes meaningless.

The people I trust the most are the ones who are willing to give a bad review. This is especially true for us as authors, and as edifiers, and as publicists.

So hold onto your five-star rating. Praise the effort, and don't be mean or cruel, but be honest when you appraise the result. Sometimes a one-star rating is what it takes to set someone on the right path! Nothing will sober you up like a bad grade, if you get me.

- Eric



Eric W. Trant is a published author of several short stories and the novel Out of the Great Black Nothing. He is currently working on his second full-length novel with WiDo Publishing. See more of Eric's work here: Publications ** ARE YOU AN ORGAN DONOR? ERIC IS! **

:

7 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Well said, Eric. I know people who do that, including a couple authors who do it just to entice others to return the favor. Be honest or it all means nothing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A blogger buddy of mine posted about this very same thing recently.

Unlocked said...

Agreed. Remember Little League? Well...where we live, everyone got a trophy. No one was singled out so that every kid felt like their skills were unparalleled. Next thing you know, those kids will be the laughing stock of American Idol with an audition that makes you wonder who in the hell those parents were to tell that poor kid he could sing! Undoubtedly it is a tough line to walk between truth and degradation, but some truth need be included!

dolorah said...

good analogy Eric. I've read a few books lately I didn't really care for so I didn't write the reviews. Some authors get their feelings hurt easily.

........dhole

Anne Gallagher said...

My problem is I usually do love everything I've read and a 5 star is the way I go.

If I read something I'm not crazy about I won't post a review.

Of course now with Amazon's crazy review policy I'm not posting there anymore anyway.

Snowbrush said...

You point to a common occurrence among bloggers, namely to praise everything that their blogger buddies write. You might remember the awards that bloggers used to give to one another, often with the stipulation that the recipient was to in turn give the same award to five (or even more) other bloggers. Pretty soon, every blogger in the universe had darn near every award, at which point the bottom fell out of the blogger award market. I don't even remember the last time I saw one of those awards.

prince said...

play bazaar
satta king Avoid extreme heat and chemicals on your hair over time.